My 4th Great Grandparents

Or, "My Mother's Mother's Father's Mother's Mother's Mother's Parents (or something like that)"

A significant portion of the research I have published focuses on the ancestry and descendants of Hans Hansen (1800-1828). Of course, without his wife, Else Hansdatter (1821-1899), he wouldn't have had any descendants. I'm assuming at this point you know who these people are, but if you don't, take a look at this link for the details.

Else's parents were Hans Olsen and Imbjør Jacobsdatter of Teigen nordre farm. If you've looked at the two ahnentafel charts I've posted, you will notice that there is a difference of opinion as to who Else's grandparents were. I believe that the Ole Magne Svare's conclusions are correct, and that Berg's are in error. On Ole Magne Svare's chart, Else is number 3, her parents are numbers 6 and 7, and their parents are number 12, 13, 14, and 15. None of these lines are continued past this generation in Ole Magne Svare's chart.

When I was in college I wrote a brief paper comparing these two charts and reexamining the sources to determine who the parents of Imbjør Jacobsdatter were. If you want to read the paper, it's in PDF format at this link. Anyway, that brings me around to the point I've been trying to make.

Else's maternal grandmother, Gunild Svendsdatter, was christened in Vågå church on 1
November 1759. The entry reads "Fest Sancti W et Z, Svend Pederss. Pb. Gunild, Morten Bolungen og qv., Ole Aamodt, Kari Selsjord, Mari Toug." The significant part of this translates as "Svend Pederssen's daughter [pigebarn], Gunild." On 12 August of that same year (two months and twenty days earlier, to be exact) Svend Pedersen married Barbara Østensdatter.

Barbara was confirmed in Sell annex chapel in 1751, and her age was given as 18 years, making her year of birth approximately 1733. In 1736, there was a "register of souls" (sæljeregister) of all persons in Vågå clerical district between the ages of 7 and 40. Barbra is not listed here, as she would only be three years old at that time. However, there is a Rønnoug Østensdatter of Kongsparten farm, age 8, making her birth year approximately 1728. So she's a good possibility to be Barbara's sister.

I haven't checked for a marriage record for Rønnoug to see if her father is mentioned (which I doubt), but I really think she's Gunild's sister. So now I need to find out some details on who this Østen Kongsparten is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genealogy. It's all Relative

What's In A Name?

The Top 40 Twins of All Time