Blackouts

I hate 'em. Not the electrical kind--although they're bad enough--I mean sports blackouts. The "I'm sorry, sir, we haven't sold enough tickets, so we won't be putting the game on television." ones. I hate 'em.

I understand the reasons why they have them. The need to protect their market, and respect other markets, so that the revenue-sharing plan can keep all the teams in the black. But what do you do when you aren't in a market? Or, at least, it seems like you aren't in a market?

At my house, the closest team is the Colorado Rockies. They're 320 miles away, so I guess that puts me in their market. But, there's no possible way that I can tell the kids, "Go pile in the car, we're going to a ball game!" The Los Angeles/California/Anaheim/Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim have a AAA affiliate here, so you'd think maybe we'd get Angels games on the radio or tv, but no. I do get Rockies games on the satellite, but like I said, it's not likely I'll be dropping in at Coors Field for a game.

Anyway, Tuesday night, I'm working in the kitchen and looking for something to watch on tv. The Sports Alternate channels showed four games going on: Cubs @ Brewers, Yankees @ Orioles, Tigers @ White Sox, and Twins @ Royals. Every one of them was blacked out. The closest game to me was the Twins/Royals (which was also the one I would really liked to have seen). As the crow files, it's about 920 miles to the ballpark, so it's pretty unlikely that I'd get a chance to see the game in person.

The satellite receiver knows where I am. So why isn't the system smart enough to say, "Gee, let's let this poor schmuck watch this game."

I know why. They're protecting their market. I don't know who's market, but they are protecting it.

Never mind they're missing yet another opportunity to attract fans by trying to grow their market.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genealogy. It's all Relative

What's In A Name?

In a very short time you will know EVERYTHING!