Dining Out

Tonight I had a dining experience unlike any I have ever had. My wife and I don't like to go fight the crowds dining out on Valentine's Day, so we usually go out some other night around the 14th. So tonight we decided to go out and get it over with.

I say "get it over with" because so many times you go out to eat and it's no big deal. Most places the food is tasty, the wait service adequate, the Muzak too loud, and the conversations going on around you far too personal to be comfortable overhearing. All in all, pretty overwhelmingly average. That's probably why I hate eating alone when I'm on the road. It's boring.

Not tonight. We decided to go to this little Italian place on Main Street in Bountiful. As soon as we walked in, it was wonderful. They had a great buffet spread laid out, with homemade food. Sure, the salad bar had iceberg lettuce in it, but it wasn't poured out of a bag. And there were no reheated preprocessed meatballs here, boyo. The selection wasn't all that broad, but the menu made up for it. My wife ordered ordered from the menu, while I checked out the buffet.

Did I mention they had live music? Some people might not consider an accordion to be a musical instrument, but I do. I like bagpipes, too. So there. Remember that I said it was wonderful when we walked in? It was. The music was light and happy, the people were pleasant and welcoming, and the aroma from the kitchen was entrancing. Within minutes of going in I felt happier than I had in days!

People were humming along with the music, and one fellow (with a very good tenor voice) even got up from his meal to sing! During dinner I told my wife that this felt more like a family party and that we should probably hug everyone on the way out. When I paid the bill, the lady asked me if this was our first visit. I said that it was, and that we had such and enjoyable time we'd be back again.

Then she told me they were retiring in June, and weren't sure what they were going to do with the restaurant. Figgers that I'd happen on to something good just before it goes away.

But I'll be back before they close. I want to know what's in the chef's sauce for the pork tenderloin.

Comments

Paul said…
I've been there once. It's an awesome place. Too bad they're closing so soon....
Maren said…
Daddy, you changed your template...I thought I was on Paul's blog for a second.
That resturaunt sounds great. Aren't they the ones who sell single slices of pizza on parade days? Hmm...

Popular posts from this blog

Genealogy. It's all Relative

What's In A Name?

The Top 40 Twins of All Time