Today's Annoyance

It started with a phone call. You know the kind--one of those automated ones. The kind you usually hang up on as soon as you realize what it is.

This particular one was from my insurance company's pharmacy provider. So I thought I'd listen to the message.

"Your mail-order prescription has been processed. We must speak to you before it can be shipped. Please call us at 1-800, blah-blah-blah, blah-blah-blah-blah. Would you like me to repeat that number?"


As soon as the message got to the "please call us" part, I was looking around for a pen and paper to write the number down. I couldn't find one, so I thought I'd try stalling for time.

"Yes, please repeat the number."

"Please call us at 1-800, blah-blah-blah, blah-blah-blah-blah. Would you like me to repeat that number?"


No pencil in the drawers, no pencils in the pencil cup. I thought I'd better keep stalling for time.

"Yeah, repeat the number!"

"Please call us at 1-800, blah-blah-blah, blah-blah-blah-blah. Would you like me to repeat that number?"

No pencil in any drawers where they should be. My pulse was beginning to race.

"Yeah, yeah, the number, repeat the number!"

"Please call us at 1-800, blah-blah-blah, blah-blah-blah-blah. Would you like me to repeat that number?"


No sharp objects with which to draw blood so I could scrawl the number onto the wall, desk, or anyplace. I knew I was beaten.

"No, thank you," I replied in defeat.

"Thank you for using our services. Goodbye!"


Upon reflection, I am force to wonder at the logic behind the design that gave birth to this scenario. Here are the most important facts, as I see them:


  • The pharmacy wanted me to call them about the prescription.
  • The pharmacy called me to tell me to call them.
  • I was on the phone, listening to the message from the pharmacy.
  • The message told me the number to call.
  • The message repeated the number when I asked for it.

So why in the name of all that is good and right in the world, couldn't the message give me this option?

"Would you like to speak to a representative about your order?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genealogy. It's all Relative

What's In A Name?

The Top 40 Twins of All Time