The Empty Stocking

From my childhood, one of my favorite Christmas movies was The Bishop's Wife. Not the dreadful one with Denzel Washington (whose work I really enjoy, especially Crimson Tide), but the 1947 version with Cary Grant, David Niven, and Loretta Young.

I think my favorite scene was when Dudley (Cary Grant) decorates the Christmas tree using his angelic powers. During the course of the show, Dudley find himself falling in love with the bishop's wife (Loretta Young), and she with him. All because the bishop's attentions are focused more on building a new cathedral than on his wife and daughter.

Years later, I began to appreciate the closing scene of the movie. Bishop Brougham is struggling trying to write his Christmas Eve sermon, and Dudley takes over the task, dictating to the typewriter what the bishop's sermon will be. It's an eloquently short sermon that plainly teaches that charity is what we should be giving to one another.

"Tonight, I want to tell you about the story of an empty stocking. Once upon a midnight clear there was a child's cry. A blazing star hung over a stable, and Wise Men came with birthday gifts. We haven't forgotten that night down through the ages. We celebrate it with a star hung on a Christmas tree and a cry of bells and gifts, especially with gifts. We bind them and wrap them, and we put them under the tree. You give me a tie, I give you a book, Aunt Martha always wanted an orange squeezer, Uncle Harry could use a new pipe, oh, we haven't forgotten anyone, adult or child. All the stockings are filled, all that is, except one, and we have even forgotten to hang it up! The stocking for the child born in a manger. It's His birthday we are celebrating, you know. Don't let us ever forget that. Let us ask ourselves what He would wish for most, and then let each of us put in his share - loving kindness, warm hearts, and a stretched out hand - all the shining gifts that make peace on earth."

To all of you who have embraced charity at this season, I wish you a Merry Christmas. And thank you.

Comments

Pastor Dave said…
I have always been impressed by this poem/sermon from the Bishops Wife.
thanks for posting it, I will present it tomorrow at my church to motivate folks about the true meaning of christmas
Pastor Dave
Pastor Dave said…
It's a new year and my thoughts are still the same, we must continue to practice Christian Charity, I will be using this poem again tommorrow morning during my Christmas Sermon, God Bless You

Pastor Dave

Popular posts from this blog

Genealogy. It's all Relative

What's In A Name?

The Top 40 Twins of All Time