34

When I heard the news that Kirby Puckett had had a stroke and they weren't releasing any statement on his condition I knew things were bad. I found out about his passing tonight, just a few hours after returning from a viewing for a neighbor's wife.

Kirby Puckett was at the nexus of two of the happiest moments in my life. The second one, which I'll mention first, was in 1995, when the Twins came to Salt Lake City to play their AAA affiliate, the Salt Lake Buzz. The Twins lost that game, but afterwards my kids and I were crushed up against the fence where the team buses load, waiting to see if we could spot someone. You should have heard the roar that went up when Kirby came in sight. While we were disappointed we didn't get an autograph, or a chance to shake his had, we did get to see Kirby up close.

The first of these event was in 1991, when my oldest daughter had just turned four. It was during the World Series, and, like most little kids, had gotten sick while she was in bed and woke up crying. I guess that I'd been carrying during the playoffs about how civic-minded Kirby was, and how he was someone to emulate because of how he had overcome the trials of his youth to achieve a goal, and was using his largess to help other youth in trouble.

While I was cleaning her up, she said to me in all the sincerity of youth, "I sure hope the Twins win, 'cuz Kirby Puckett is such a great guy." Well, Punkin, win they did. And if it hadn't been for his on-field heroics in Game 6, we never would have heard this great quote: "And we'll see you tomorrow night!"

Alas, it'll be later than tomorrow night before we meet again. Goodbye, Kirby. Thanks for everything.

Comments

Maren said…
I'm glad you remembered I said that...I still believe it.

Popular posts from this blog

Genealogy. It's all Relative

What's In A Name?

The Top 40 Twins of All Time