Neologisms

I live in a part of the county where many people believe in places that don't exits.

It's not like people believing in Kansas, Oz, or even Neverland. In this case, many people here call places by the wrong name or mispronounce the name or even generate an entirely new word. It annoys me to no end.

For example, there is a city about 90 miles from here that many people call "Evingston, Wyomin." No, I don't think so. Please note how the "g" has shifted from the state to the city.

A local institute of higher learning is called Westminister College. Nope. Try Westminster.

I've often wondered when someone says "irregardless" do they mean we should regard it?

Another new word that I've heard several times lately is "homogenius." From the context, I'm fairly certain the word that was intended to be used is "homogenous."

If this new word was to be found in Merriam-Webster's lexicon, I suppose this word would have a Latin derivation with Greek origin and mean "same aptitide or capacity."

Or maybe something else.

Comments

Maren said…
Ooh! Those are examples of Deletion, Epenthesis, and Metathesis.

Linguistics has taken over!!

Popular posts from this blog

Genealogy. It's all Relative

What's In A Name?

The Top 40 Twins of All Time